Numerous countries and states have permitted the legal use of medical marijuana in some form, and more are looking into the possibility of doing the same.
Medical marijuana is the utilization of the Cannabis plant or parts of it by the extraction of its chemicals and compounds in order to ameliorate intolerable signs and symptoms or treat illnesses or disorders.
The Cannabis plant contains hundreds of different chemicals and compounds, most of which are known as cannabinoids. Every one of these has its own composition, set of properties and consequent effects on the human body. The most commonly isolated chemicals from the Cannabis plant for use in medicinal purposes are cannabidiol (CBD), cannabinol (CBN) and tetrahydrocannabinol ( THC). THC is a potent psychoactive compound that brings about the “high” experienced by those who smoke or inhale marijuana as well as those who consume edibles wherein cannabis was incorporated.
Numerous studies have indicated that cannabinoids have positive and beneficial effects on humans thus medical marijuana has been of use in the treatment of the following conditions:
- To enhance neuroplasticity: has been instrumental in the treatment of severe and drug-resistant seizure disorders in children and adults and epilepsy specifically Dravet Syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome.
- To reduce inflammation (swelling) and relieve pain and muscular spasms by relaxing tight and knotted muscles: of great assistance to patients suffering from multiple sclerosis and arthritis.
- To reduce inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract, particularly improving the signs and symptoms of Crohn’s Disease.
- -To improve appetite and boost weight gain: especially advantageous for patients with cachexia or wasting syndrome, eating disorders, i. e. anorexia, carcinoma, AIDS, etc.
- To relieve patients undergoing chemotherapy of nausea and vomiting.
- To alleviate symptoms of anxiety disorders and psychosis: helpful in patients afflicted with schizophrenia, PTSD, depression, and anxiety.
- To treat neurodegenerative conditions and motor disorders: aids in the management of patients with Alzheimer’s, Huntington’s and Parkinson’s diseases.
To reap the therapeutic benefits of medical marijuana, you may consume it in a number of ways:
- By smoking (effects are faster)
- there are various devices you can choose from when smoking is your preferred mode of consuming cannabis
- it may be inhaled by putting it in a device called a vaporizer which converts it into a mist
- you can use glass pipes which is the safest kind and provides the best flavor
- there is also the water pipe which is larger and delivers cannabis through water filtration thus providing a cooling effect
- the oldest method of rolling the flowers or leaves in the rolling paper is not the most efficient way of consuming cannabis because some smoke gets lost in the air as it is inhaled
- By eating (takes about an hour to feel the effects)
- may be incorporated in cooked or baked food e. g. brownies, candies
- a few drops of oil or extracts are placed under the tongue
- Applied to the skin
- lotion, spray, oil, or cream
You may take medical cannabis in the form that you are most comfortable with. If you are just starting out, ask your low price bud dispensary staff for suggestions and advice.