Probiotics are becoming increasingly popular food supplements and can benefit your body in different ways. Lactobacillus Acidophilus is one of the most common naturally occurring probiotics found in yogurt, supplements, and fermented foods.
What’s with Lactobacillus Acidophilus?
Lactobacillus acidophilus is a member of the Bacillus genus of bacteria usually present in the mouth, gastrointestinal tract, and vagina of humans and animals. Nowadays, there have been many research studies that confirm lactobacillus acidophilus health benefits of these bacteria on human health. It serves as an alternative to medicines for treating diarrhea in children with rotavirus and helps in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome, lung infections, colic, and bacterial vaginal infection. Other prominent uses of Lactobacillus Acidophilus involve cholesterol control and digestion. This supplement can enhance the absorption of nutrients and promote digestion by fighting pathogenic bacteria and improving metabolism. It also serves as a compelling treatment for high cholesterol levels in the body.
Lactobacillus Acidophilus 9 Health Benefits
The following are some of the well-researched benefits of L. Acidophilus:
- Reduce cholesterol – L. Acidophilus is maybe the most effective probiotic for reducing cholesterol levels. One study found that yogurt, it helped reduce the level of cholesterol by 7 percent as compared to ordinary yogurt when supplemented with this probiotic.
- Prevents and treats diarrhea – studies show that Lactobacillus Acidophilus is an effective treatment option for diarrhea associated with various diseases and conditions, such as radiotherapy for cancer, Clostridium difficile, antibiotics, and traveling.
- Reduces symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome – Lactobacillus Acidophilus could help relieve abdominal pain in patients suffering from irritable bowel syndrome according to study.
- Treats and prevents vaginal infections – L. Acidophilus supplementation increases the number of lactobacilli in the vagina and helps in treating different vaginal infections.
- Promotes weight loss – evidence shows that acidophilus probiotic weight loss had helped especially when stacked together.
- Prevents and decreases cold and flu symptoms – L. Acidophilus increases your immune system and prevents viral infections.
- Helps prevent and reduce allergy symptoms – after consuming a fermented milk drink containing L. Acidophilus, people dealing with Japanese cedar pollen allergy experienced a reduction in their symptoms.
- Helps with the symptoms of eczema – a combination of L. Acidophilus and standard medical treatment lead to huge enhancement in the indications of eczema.
- Improves the gut health – Lactobacilli are extremely beneficial for your gut health because the lactic acid that they produce prevents bad bacteria to cause damage to the intestine.
3 Serious Side Effects of Acidophilus
- Breathing difficulties
- Swelling of lips, tongue, face, or throat
Consider seeking emergency medical attention if you experience any of these serious side effects because you might be having an allergic reaction to Acidophilus.